Council tax helps pay for local services like rubbish collection, policing and education. It applies to all domestic properties including, houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes and houseboats whether owned or rented.
Changes to council tax discount and exemption from April 2013
At the Council meeting on 21 January 2013, councillors resolved to amend some of the council tax discounts and exemptions. The revenue raised from these changes will be used to offset a 10% reduction in funding for the new council tax reduction scheme which was also approved at the meeting.
The changes approved are as follows
- Remove the 10% second home discount in full
- Class A [uninhabitable property] exemption will be changed from a 100% exemption for up to 12 months to a 50% discount for up to 12 months
- Class C [empty and unfurnished property] exemption will be changed from a 100% exemption for up to 6 months to a 25% discount for up to 6 months
These changes will come into force from 1 April 2013 and those affected will be notified in their annual council tax bill. We will also endeavour to write to as many people affected as possible.
The resolution passed by councillors means that these changes are not negotiable. Stringent checks will be made to ensure that residents and other affected parties do not falsely claim discounts they are not entitled to.
- [PDF] Council tax leaflet 2013_2014 (773kb)
- [PDF] Council tax charges by property band 2013/2014 (209kb)
- [PDF] Council Tax Attachment of Earnings - Guidance to Employers (51kb)