Website URL :

Public Rights of Way

Current notices

Public rights of way - Current notices 

Public Path Orders

Click on the link below to access Public Path Orders

 Public rights of way - orders  

Applying to stop up or divert a public right of way (PROW)

The first step in the process to stop up or divert a PROW is to complete an application form.

This can be done online: Application for public path order Town and County Planning Act, 1990 - Section 257

Electronic Application Form

Alternatively, you can download and print a hardcopy of the application form:

Public Path Stopping Up/ Diversion Order under the Town and Country Planning Act application Form pdf Application for public path order (165kb)

If you require an application form to stop up/ divert a PROW under the Highways Act please contact us.

Supporting Documents

As is specified in the application form, please ensure that the following documents are submitted with the form:

1. One copy of a map which should be at a scale 1:2500 or 1:1250.

  • A current edition of an Ordnance Survey sheet should be used as the base.
  • The scale, sheet numbers, grid lines and north point should be clearly marked.
  • The proposed development and all adjoining development should be shown;
  • The rights of way to be stopped up should be represented by solid black lines, substitute paths should be represented by interrupted black lines.

2. Application fees

3. Justification Statement

Incomplete applications will not be registered until all the documents above have been received.

If you are completing an online application form, the accompanying documents can be attached electronically to this form.

If you are completing a hard copy application form please send the completed application and supporting documents to Legal Services, Cherwell District Council, Bodicote House, Bodicote, Banbury, Oxfordshire OX15 4AA.

The initial fee of £1200 can be paid either online (Please click here to pay online) or by cheque addressed to Cherwell District Council and sent to Cherwell District Council's offices at the address listed above.

Oxfordshire County Council

Oxfordshire County Council have responsibility for the protection and maintenance of PROW.

They also have a statutory responsibility to maintain and update the definitive map and its accompanying statement. The definitive map is a legal record of the public's rights of way.

Please see Oxfordshire County Council's website for further information Oxfordshire County Council public rights of way page

Contact us

If you have any questions regarding PROW please contact

Cookie Policy